About Brian McMillan
We all face challenges at various times in our lives. These may prevent growth or throw us back into ways of behaving that don't seem true to ourselves. I am trained to help you remove blocks to growth and fulfilment as we work together to your agenda.
The Internal Family Systems model provides a wonderful safe vehicle for meeting the parts of us that cause us distress and for the healing that wants to happen naturally given the right conditions.
I'd be privileged to work alongside you whatever is feeling problematic. All parts of you are welcome in the safe place of my therapy room.
The Internal Family Systems model provides a wonderful safe vehicle for meeting the parts of us that cause us distress and for the healing that wants to happen naturally given the right conditions. I work to assist you to inhabit and fully express the Self that we essentially are and to foster the relationship between it and our Parts on the journey towards healing and wholeness. Elinor Greenberg expresses beautifully what I find IFS offers .. the ability 'to be able to delight in oneself.' I'd be privileged to work alongside you whatever is feeling problematic. All parts of you are welcome in the safe place of my therapy room.
" The point of therapy isn't to get rid of anything, but to help it transform." Richard Schwartz (founder of IFS)
So why choose me as your counsellor?
- I am experienced in working with a range of people and a range of issues having worked in medical practices for a number of years
- I am enthusiastic about therapy and particularly Internal Family Systems. I know from my own experience of therapy how difficult and yet how rewarding it can be to seek and use this kind of help.
- I will view you as a healthy individual who may be experiencing temporary difficulty. My experience and training mean I am aware of the impact of trauma (whether developmental or of a one-off nature) and can help you heal from it.
- I am flexible, creative and adapt the way I work rather than expecting you to fit into a one-size-fits-all way of working.
- I will work collaboratively with you as a co-explorer helping you find and use your own abilities to heal yourself.
- I am fully qualified and insured.
One of my favourite quotes in regards to what counselling is, comes from Richard Schwartz where the big 'secret' to it all is revealed in that; "You, are the one you've been waiting for .."
For further information about Internal Family Systems please follow the link : www.selfleadership.org/about-internal-family-systems.html
For further information on Sensorimotor Psychotherapy please follow the link : www.sensorimotorpsychotherapy.org/home/index.html
- Certificate in Counselling Studies - University of Ulster (Distinction)
- FdSc Counselling - University of Ulster (Commendation)
- Levels 1, 2 & 3 Internal Family Systems Therapy - London
- Level 1 Sensorimotor Psychotherapy for the Treatment of Trauma
- Certificate for Psychological Trauma & Dissociation - NRC
- Certificate for Bereavement - NRC
- Certificate for Child Protection Training -NRC
- Certificate for Ethics Masterclass - NRC
- Certificate for Mental Health First Aid - NI Training
- CPD Attendance - Working with Ego States & Dissociative Parts - ACC
- Workshops for - Concept of Self, The Wisdom of the Body, Addressing Anxiety, Inner Conflict, Feelings and Emotions, Creative Techniques - Art & Miniature Animal
- Certificate of attendance - Understanding Trauma - Zest for Life
- Suicide Awareness Training
- Working in Medical Practices with a wide variety of Mental Health problems
Medical Practice Counsellor (Sep, 2014 - Sep, 2019)Maine Medical Practice
Working with a variety of presenting Mental Health problems
FdSc (Sep, 2013 - Jun, 2016)Ulster University
Commendation in Counselling
Honours & Awards
UU FdSc Counselling (June 27, 2016)
Level 3 IFS (May 31, 2018)
Level 1 Sensorimotor Psychotherapy (March 29, 2019)
Private Practice Hillhead Counselling£40.00 per hour - £50.00 per hour weekend
Available afternoons and evenings weekdays and Saturday mornings.